SWIFT is a member-owned cooperative that provides the communications platform, products and services to connect more than 11,000 banking organisations, securities institutions and corporate customers in over 200 countries and territories. SWIFT enables its users to exchange automated, standardised financial information securely and reliably, thereby lowering costs, reducing operational risk and eliminating operational inefficiencies. SWIFT also brings the financial community together to work collaboratively to shape market practice, define standards and debate issues of mutual interest. SWIFT is headquartered in Belgium and has over 24 offices worldwide.
SWIFT has set itself a challenging strategy, which makes it become active in new markets and customer segments. Moreover, the regulatory environment becomes ever more important.
SWIFT’s Legal and Compliance Department actively contributes to the deployment of the company’s strategy in particular and the company’s activities and projects in general. Legal’s contribution mainly consists of expert legal advice and innovative contracting at the interesting cross-roads of IT and financial law and regulation.
In our strive to further localize our legal support, we are looking for a legal counsel, to be based in London, who will assist Legal in providing legal advice to our commercial activities within the region and also globally. This person will actively contribute to the accomplishment of Legal’s mission and of the company’s activities.
- Reporting to the General Counsel, you will be based in London.
- Your responsibility will be to provide legal support related to the provision of SWIFT’s products and services to our customers with a primary focus on the region and also globally. Extensive experience in drafting and negotiating contracts (and other transactional documents) for the provision of products and services, software licenses, OEM, hardware, NDAs, and electronic contracting will be part of your day to day responsibility, including general legal support in commercial deals.
- Your responsibility will also be to actively monitor regulatory developments that are relevant for the company and the financial community, to provide advice relating thereto and to contribute to the implementation thereof by the company where relevant.
- As a member of the legal team, you will be exposed to all other legal issues pertaining to the business of SWIFT and you will have to coordinate your work with the rest of the team.
Your responsibilities will be
- To draft/review/recommend company contracts / to participate in negotiations / to recommend amendments to contracts for customers/ suppliers/ partners/ development projects/ etc...
- To provide legal support for the company's new projects by undertaking research on specific legal problems/issues, by providing advice, dealing with legal risks and drafting contractual documentation
- To be counsel for litigations, investigations and claims and queries.
- To undertake specific legal studies, investigate and propose guidelines with a view to minimise company exposure
- To actively monitor regulatory developments that are relevant for the company and the financial community, to provide internal legal advice relating thereto and to contribute to the implementation thereof by the company where relevant
- To actively cooperate with the Corporate Affairs department on matters of regulation and public affairs
- To liaise with management and staff and with customers/ suppliers/ lawyers/ public administrations/ etc...
- To maintain/ develop understanding of evolutions in relevant areas of law and regulation including commercial and competition laws, licensing issues and regulatory matters to identify potential impact on SWIFT operations
- Education: A basic degree in law, possibly with an additional postgraduate degree (e.g. LL.M., special degree in competition laws or corporate laws), ideally in a different jurisdiction than the basic law degree. Knowledge of Belgian law is a plus.
- Language: Fluent in English (oral and written). Other languages are a plus.
- 4-7 years of professional experience, ideally in a major international law firm, an international financial institution (bank or insurance company), a multinational, or a supranational or international organisation.
- A strong background in IT and financial laws, including in negotiating and drafting, sourcing and licensing contracts.
- Experience in negotiation, review and preparation of commercial agreements.
- Team spirit: the candidate will work within the Legal & Compliance team and will have close relationship with the commercial, marketing and corporate affairs teams
- Independent: the candidate will have to manage projects independently
- Excellent communication skills and drafting skills.
- Flexible and innovative
- Analytical and research skills
- Ability to listen
- Good business mind
- Willing to travel
What we offer
We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits, including sport allowance, lunch allowance and insurances:
- Medical Coverage
- Europ Assistance
Want to be part of your global team? Apply now!