We are looking for a highly experienced Senior Software Engineer with strong commercial experience of Python to build and maintain our core Python based platforms and services, in particular, Pole Star's market-leading Fin Tech/Reg Tech products. You'll work in a talented and interdisciplinary team, with a strong creative culture, and help us deliver high impact work.
Would you like to work for an established, fun and interesting Company?
We provide tracking and monitoring services to the global maritime industry from our headquarters in London, with other offices in the maritime hubs of Boston, Panama, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia. We run provide and manage data centres for 46 governments worldwide, we monitor 40,000 ships on behalf of 1,300 clients located in over 90 countries. Pole Star continues to experience strong growth and sustained profitability. The company is among Britain’s fastest-growing private technology companies and was ranked in The Sunday Times Tech Track 100 league table. We are a privately owned UK Company and have a multinational team of 100 people, fluent in over 24 languages.
- Designing, building, testing and documenting software and web applications in Python
- Find and identify new opportunities to fine-tune and optimize applications’ performance
- Support formal Quality Assurance and resolve test defects
- Create services and applications utilizing various programming languages
- Identify production and non-production application issues
Team size is small (4 strong when all complete) but the Technology Delivery team as a whole is 18.
Your essential skills and experience:
- Commercial experience working in a fast-paced, Agile (Scrum or similar) software development environment
- Four or more years of solid commercial Python experience
- JSON, REST, SOAP and RESTful Services and API’s
- Database and SQL knowledge, PostgreSQL, Oracle, PostGIS,
- Solid commercial Linux/Unix knowledge (Redhat/CentOS/Fedora)
- Jenkins, CI integration
- SQS, RabbitMQ, Redis experience
- Experience in migrating/updating legacy systems (e.g. Python 2.x to 3)
- A strong drive and interest to learn new technologies quickly
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
It would be ideal if you also had experience in:
- Web development: HTML (HTML5 & CSS) and XML/XSL
- JIRA., other Atlassian products
- Knowledge of Geo-Spatial technology or GeoServer
- AWS, AWS RDS