General Description of role:
The senior Internet systems engineer will work at the core of the Internet. Designing and managing critical national infrastructure and government secure services.
You will architect, build and operate the Nominet DNS platforms and Internet connectivity, carrying out business as usual support and project duties as required.
It will be expected that you take a lead in analysing requirements, documenting solutions and leading other team members in successful new service deployments.
Nominet’s DNS team is growing due to the ambitions of the organisation to expand its innovative DNS related cyber security services and this role will form a key part of that growth, driving the innovation and automation of the related infrastructure and systems.
Location Oxford / London
Type of Hire Permanent
Ref No 284
- Provide technical expertise to support and operate Nominet DNS platforms and network infrastructure
- Analyse business requirements and design/deploy solutions with on-premise and public cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS) to satisfy those needs
- Ensure that the DNS platforms maintain the enviable record of security, stability and maintainability to maximise uptime and meet customer SLAs for external and internal DNS systems.
- Interface with the wider technical teams to ensure all systems are working in an efficient and scalable manner.
- Be a subject matter expert in DNS, WAN and public cloud related technologies, particularly about ongoing operations.
- Quickly understand the existing environments and rapidly build the relationships required across the business. Understand the strategic importance of DNS to Nominet and its service offerings.
- Lead/mentor team members to develop the breadth and depth of skills across the function
- Participate in an on-call rota of our global services
- Represent Nominet on key national and international committees and fora, presenting and demonstrating ‘thought leadership’ in this field
- Be ready to travel nationally and internationally as a subject matter expert in DNS and network related services Nominet offer in support of new commercial opportunities
- Works effectively as part of the Company team, communicates positively and transparently at all levels both internally and externally
- Works effectively as part of a department team, recognises areas where support is required and offers assistance
- flexible and adaptable in approach
- Takes an active role in personal development and frequently reviews individual objectives and attends training sessions as required
- Professionally manages customer communications at all times and in all scenarios
- Pro-actively manages workload and conflicting priorities
- Able to effectively problem solve and use initiative to think beyond existing methodologies
- Always treats people with respect and role models Nominet’s behaviors both internally and externally
- Works constructively and effectively with third parties to build and leverage the relationship
Key results / Outputs and deliverables:
- “uptime” to the Authoritative and Resolver DNS platforms
- React to and promptly resolve incidents within the DNS platforms
- Plan and implement changes in a robust, proven and safe way to DNS services
- Deliver project and programmes to agreed time, cost and quality
- Strong ISO process development and adherence against 20000, 27001 and 22301 standards
- Create simple solutions for complex and challenging problems
Rewards for success include a high-level of recognition within the Nominet business as well as within the national and international internet community.
Professional skills, background and profile:
The ideal candidate will have a real interest and enthusiasm for working with the latest technology within a highly motivated team. You will bring fresh and exciting ideas to the role and have a very inquisitive and analytical mind.
In addition, you will have the ability to work as part of a team as well as being self-motivated and a self-starter. This role will suit a fast-learner, capable of absorbing complex technical detail and being able to provide understanding and value adding input quickly.
- Advanced practical knowledge of Internet operations with a strong focus on DNS.
- Advanced practical knowledge of Internet networking protocols and peering principles e.g. BGP
- Experience in the configuration of DNS software and servers running on Linux platforms.
- Experience in the configuration and functionality exploitation of juniper firewalls and routers.
- Prepared to be vetted for security clearance to work on nationally critical systems.
- Excellent communication skills, being able to tailor content and style to the audience at hand
- Experience of public cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS) and a pragmatic approach to exploiting the optimum hybrid mix of technologies
- Experience of automation/configuration management tools
- Experience of virtualisation technologies such as VMware
- Experience of RedHat Linux and RPM packaging
- Capabilities with major scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby)
- Significant cyber-security awareness and knowledge of the threats and the applicability of risk mitigation approaches in a fast-changing landscape
- Ability to provide technical leadership to other team members and work under pressure
- An exceptional talent for problem solving and logical reasoning with the ability to think laterally and look beyond the obvious