At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last.
You are ambitious, intelligent, and intellectually curious. You are a self-disciplined problem-solver, who is respectful and straightforward with all your colleagues. You are trusting and trusted, flexible and emotionally mature, and you thrive on working with people who share these values.
As a lead gameplay programmer you will have a clear understanding of your leadership style and its impact on others, and be able to use a range of directive and non-directive leadership skills to get the best from your team. You will balance delivering results with caring for the needs of your team. You will motivate and guide others to excellence, acting as a role model for organisational, technical, and creative skills, whilst showing others ‘what good looks like’.
As a lead gameplay programmer you will confidently and respectfully challenge the status quo in order to improve things. Assertive when needed, you ensure the requirements of your team and your business are met by stakeholders at all levels. Confident in your decision making, you nevertheless think carefully before you speak and act.
What challenges await you?
- Leading the gameplayprogramming team to deliver high quality features to millions of our players efficiently and reliably
- Writing robust, well-engineered code across the game client, with the majority in C++ and some ActionScript, Objective-C and Java
- Splitting your time 50:50 between leading the team to success and writing code yourself
- Architecting new systems and re-architecting old ones, delivering our goals through engineering excellence
- Mentoring and supporting your team of 4 programmers to enable them to produce their best work
- Fostering a team culture which values engineering principles, innovation and continuous improvement
- Collaborating closely with the server team in many aspects of development
- Providing technical direction on design specs and ideas
What you will bring:
- Excellent engineering skills
- Strong C++ coding ability
- A background in games development and multiple shipped titles
- Team leadership experience, both with people and projects
- A degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Proficiency in iOS and Android development
- Experience with server development
- Knowledge and understanding of graphics programming, especially OpenGL, Metal and Vulkan
- Many games shipped and live environments supported
What do we give you?
- Flexible working hours
- Zynga Stock
- A discretionary annual bonus
- A contributory pension scheme
- Discounted gym membership at Studio local gyms
- Free fruit & soft drinks
- 23 days discretionary holiday + 3 days extra over Christmas on top of standard public holidays
- The opportunity to join the childcare voucher and cycle to work schemes
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour in the Studio, every Friday