The Senior Associate will play a leading role in creating and defending play, basin and country-level oil and gas supply forecasts (including investment and activity forecasts), maintaining team databases and systems, with a particular focus on Yet-To-Find estimates, methodologies for recoverable resource estimates (and production forecasts based on YTF resource estimates), bench marking supply and cost data against other internal and external sources, participating in country and basin supply & investment overview sessions, and developing and maintaining data visualization tools and displays. The role overall supports the Supply function which is part of IHS Markit’s Upstream Plays and Basins Group.
Work closely with other members of the Upstream Plays & Basins team to grow the practice as well as integrate with other dimensions across the Upstream business group.
- Independently interacts with clients on areas of focus and expertise.
- Challenges existing analytical framework.
- Understands and copes with ambiguity and contradiction.
- Can identify and articulate core/essential issues within complex problems, and deliver insights and solutions.
- Influences decisions within own unit.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the IHSM business model.
- Knowledge and Skills Required language(s): English (Outstanding writing skills in international business English). International languages such as Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Chinese and/or Russian are a major plus.
- Degree in Geology, or Petroleum Engineering. Graduate degree preferred.
- At least 3 to 5 years working experience in the oil and gas industry with an Operator or consultancy.
- Strong interest in upstream oil and gas.
- Knowledge of E&P asset modeling and project economics and understanding of basins, plays, fields and wells; exposure to the global exploration business would be a real plus.
- Experience in field, play, basin and country-level production forecasting.
- Includes an ability to take into account above as well as below ground considerations to prepare forecasts.
- Understands both crude oil and natural gas.
- Ability to cope comfortably with large datasets and create new workflows and databases as required. A high level of proficiency with VBA, Access databases and Excel for data management and analysis is essential.
- Other Required skill(s): Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Tableau or Power BI or other data visualization software tools.
- Analytical, quantitative, and able to see the big picture and draw conclusions by synthesizing and digesting large sets of data. Purely technical subsurface knowledge and skills are not sufficient; a sense of the commercial and strategic aspects of the global upstream business and an ability to describe same.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are critical to this position.
It is the policy of IHS Markit to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, IHS Markit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. For candidates in the US, we are a participant in E-Verify (see link below).