Environmental and Social Consultant
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services. We have more than 160 offices in over 40 countries and territories employing more than 4,500 people who work on projects around the world.
ERM is committed to providing a service that is consistent, professional and of the highest quality to create value for our clients. We have worked with many Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing.
For over 40 years we have been working with clients around the world and in diverse industry sectors to help them to understand and manage their environmental, health, safety, risk and social impacts. All face critical sustainability challenges and our clients in these and many other areas rely on our ability to assist them operate more sustainably which has a positive impact on our planet.
Duties and Responsibilities:
ERM is seeking a consultant to join its UK & Ireland business unit to largely work on project finance and equity investment due diligence and monitoring against international environmental and social standards (e.g. Equator Principles, IFC Performance Standards, World Bank EHS Guidelines, EBRD Performance Requirements, OECD Common Approaches, etc.) for financial clients (commercial banks, DFIs, ECAs, private equity firms).
The job will involve technical and project management aspects of large/complex projects located in mostly developing countries located in Africa, the Middle East and CIS. They project work will involve travel to these locations on short trips to conduct audits/monitorings.
They will also be expected to work with the team to prepare marketing materials and proposals as required. When not busy on such projects, they will be expected to turn their hand to other types of work such as M&A due diligence, ESIAs, ESG reviews, etc. as able in order to keep busy.
Required Attributes and Skills:
- Years of experience: 5-9
- At least an undergraduate degree in a relevant topic, post-graduate degree valued.
- Has worked in a similar role working in a consultancy or industry previously.
- Has worked on environmental and social issues in a project finance context for either the borrower/project sponsor or lender/investor as a client.
- Has working knowledge of international environmental and social standards such as Equator Principles, IFC Performance Standards, World Bank EHS Guidelines, EBRD Performance Requirements, OECD Common Approaches, etc.
- Ideally has conducted environmental and social due diligence and/or post-finance monitoring on project finance or equity investment deals applying the international standards mentioned above.
- Has experience in some of the following sectors: O&G (upstream and midstream), power (renewables, gas, cogen), mining, manufacturing (automotive, F&B, heavy industries).
- Has excellent project management and communication skills.
- Ideally has experience of direct interactions with clients on projects.
- Has excellent reporting skills in English.
- Must be willing to travel for work on short trips to interesting locations mostly in Africa, Middle East and or CIS countries.
- Ideally have language skills for operation in the field, ideally Arabic, French, Russian.
Must be able to confidently deliver to tight timeframe