Please note, to be considered for this role you will need to have good working knowledge of at least oine of the following languages: Arabic, French, Russian, Turkish.
Purpose of Job
As part of the EBRD’s Gender and Inclusion Team, the Principal Gender Adviser (PGA) shall act as the EBRD focal point on Gender and Energy Efficiency Climate Change (E2C2) issues and will be responsible, in collaboration with the E2C2, sectoral banking and gender teams, for identifying gender entry points in climate change-related investments and policy dialogue activities, incorporating gender considerations into ‘green’ investments and policy dialogue, and strengthening the EBRD’s capacity to promote gender equality and women’s economic inclusion through the Bank’s green interventions, in line with the EBRD’s Green Economy Transition (GET) approach, and the EBRD’s Strategy for the Promotion of Gender Equality (2016-2020). The Principal Gender Adviser shall liaise with internal and external stakeholders and clients to establish partnerships and coalitions to support the effective mainstreaming of gender in the EBRD’s green agenda.
The Principal Gender Adviser will be part of the Gender and Inclusion Team that is responsible for mainstreaming gender in the Bank’s operations, in line with the Bank’s Strategy for the Promotion of Gender Equality (2016-2020). Under the supervision of the Director, Gender and Inclusion, the Principal Gender Adviser will work closely with all the members of the team, the Energy Efficiency Climate Change (E2C2) Department, the Banking Department, the Environmental and Sustainability Department (ESD) as well as other relevant departments, such as the Office of the Chief Economist, the Small Business Support (SBS) Team, Grant Unit, Donor Co-Financing Unit (DCF), Communications Department and others.
Facts / Scale
- Leads the development of gender components in all project proposals to be submitted to and implements all gender components approved and funded by international climate funds, such as the Green Climate Fund
- Oversees and coordinates the work of Gender Mainstreaming in the EBRD’s Green Economy Transition;
- Promotes and oversees research in innovative areas for the development of operational tools for gender mainstreaming in the Green Economy Transition in EBRD (at least 1 piece research a year);
- Manages technical co-operation projects and ;
- teams of consultants in the delivery of assignments to mainstream gender in EBRD Green Economy operations;
- Develops operational instruments and tools to mainstream gender in the EBRD Delivers capacity-building training to EBRD staff as well as key external stakeholders in at least 3 events/meetings per year;
The Principal Gender Adviser shall be responsible for the following:
- Pipeline and portfolio review, including of Technical Cooperation (TC) grants, to identify opportunities to promote gender equality as part of E2C2 investments and policy dialogue;
- Early engagement with E2C2 banking and sector banking teams for product development - define proposals and structure gender components/Action Plans in the context of funding proposals and project development;
- Acting as operational leader for EBRD-led Technical Cooperation (TC) to implement Gender Action Plans (Grants Committee submission; procurement, contracting, and TC management and monitoring; etc.);
- Reporting functions to GCF and other donors;
- In collaboration with the gender and relevant banking teams, monitoring of the gender and green portfolio of the EBRD;
- Provide advice and make recommendations to EBRD management with regards to the alignment of the EBRD’s activities on gender to the GCF’s gender policy;
- Acting as representative of the EBRD on internal and external events on gender and climate change;
- Capacity building of E2C2 banking, sectoral banking and gender teams and other EBRD staff on gender and climate change issues including through on-the-job technical assistance, tool development, design and delivery of training modules and capacity building events, as needed;
- Knowledge management and development in the area of gender and climate change including knowledge and communications and relevant communications and other learning materials;
- Development of changes to institutional processes to promote mainstreaming of gender in the green portfolio and policy dialogue activities of the Bank.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Advanced university degree on gender – namely in Sociology, Political Science, Economics, etc.;
- Significant professional experience working on gender issues – including extensive experience on women’s economic empowerment issues, and women and climate change;
- In-depth understanding of climate change and its differentiated impact on women and men in the context of the EBRD’s countries of operations and extensive experience applying this experience to project and policy dialogue initiatives in developing/transition countries;
- Experience in qualitative research methods and analysis; agile learner;
- Experience working on gender in IFIs, with a focus on the private sector;
- Excellent project management and problem-solving skills, and ability to think innovatively and strategically;
- Aptitude to lead diverse teams; excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to engage effectively with clients from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills; and at least working knowledge of any of the following - Arabic, French, Russian, Turkish.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities.
Job Segment: Bank, Banking, Sustainability, Procurement, Project Manager, Finance, Energy, Operations, Technology