The International Projects Department brings together BSI internal expertise with selected associated Consultants and fields them worldwide. Since 2003, the Department has implemented a number of projects in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, and Latin America, as well as supporting the rest of the BSI Group to undertake its standards and quality management activities outside of the UK. Projects implemented by BSI cover:
- Support to quality infrastructure (assistance to standards associations and bodies);
- Institution building in standardization and certification;
- Improvement of the standards development process;
- Support to the development of technical regulations;
- Establishment and management of standards information services and WTO National TBT Enquiry Points;
- Establishment and management of product test facilities;
- Developing product certification and management system certification programmes;
- Metrology and Accreditation;
- Institution building for the application and enforcement of the legal instruments;
- Approximation of technical rules and standards;
- Adoption of standards supporting the new approach;
- Quality and conformity assessment activities; and
- Raising awareness and enhancing quality culture among the private sector and consumers.
These projects are funded by a range of donors (EU, ADB, IADB, TMEA, UNIDO, World Bank, etc.). Through its projects, BSI’s International Projects Department provides technical assistance to beneficiary countries in order to contribute to the removal of technical and legal barriers to trade and to ensure the free movement of goods and provision of services. BSI has a wealth of project delivery experience in providing technical assistance to improve the Quality Infrastructure of beneficiary countries in line with accepted international norms and standards, through the provision of studies, gap analysis and action plans, advisory, training, assessment and evaluation activities.
This exciting role provides immediate responsibility and accountability for business development and project acquisition work, project implementation of on-going projects, and managing international donors and business partners.
Do you believe the world deserves excellence?
BSI (British Standards Institution) is the business standards company that equips businesses with the necessary solutions to turn standards of best practice into habits of excellence. Renowned for its marks of excellence including the consumer recognized BSI Kitemark™, BSI’s influence spans multiple sectors including Aerospace, Automotive, Built Environment, Food, Healthcare and ICT. With over 81,000 clients in 150 countries, BSI is an organization whose standards inspire excellence across the globe.
BSI is the UK’s National Standards Body. Working with more than 10,500 experts who represent business and industry, academia, researchers, consumers, regulators and other interested stakeholders, BSI shapes more than 2,000 standards every year. BSI’s standards are a statement of best practice, they improve the quality and reliability of products and services, enhance consumer protection and confidence, they help to achieve economies and efficiencies, and facilitate trade. BSI works with standards bodies around the world to secure the broadest possible acceptance of its standards. The ability of UK companies to find export markets is impacted by the harmonization of standards.
BSI works with manufacturing and service industries, businesses, governments and consumers to facilitate the production of British, European and international standards, and to put into place the systems assessment and registration, product testing and certification, and training infrastructure that enables companies to compete effectively in the European and international market places. BSI couples the role of UK National Standard Body with the vision of a global organization focused on equipping businesses with the necessary solutions to turn standards of best practice into habits of excellence.
As a leader in standards development, certification and testing, BSI supports government bodies and other institutions in developing their quality infrastructure. Linked to these activities, we also provide ancillary services in the field of technical barriers to trade, sanitary and phyto-sanitary (SPS) measures, food safety as well as energy efficiency, tackling climate change and protecting the environment. A dedicated International Projects Department coordinates this technical assistance for BSI.
This is a 2- 5 month internship based in our International Projects Team in Chiswick, West London. Please state the length of your avaliablity on your application/CV.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Studying towards a University degree in international development, economics, management, marketing or a related field
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good writing and editorial skills
- Sound research and analytical skills
- Ability to use search engines and tools
- Commercially driven, results-oriented and customer-focused
- Team player
- Flexible and adaptable approach
- Interest in international development issues and technical cooperation, in particular in trade and quality infrastructure areas
- Fluency in English
- Ability to work in other languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian) would be an advantage
- Computer literacy, experienced user of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio)
- To be self-motivated, and a self-starter, with a drive to deliver