The BBC News App is one of the most well-known and actively used apps in the UK with regular audiences of over 3 million daily active users. In addition to our UK app we also create and manage BBC News apps for Arabic, Hindi, Russian, Spanish, and Welsh language users, with more to follow.
Joining the BBC News App team is a unique opportunity to work with us on a product that is globally recognisable, has a very high public profile and enjoys levels of reach and engagement to millions that other apps can only dream about.
We're based in the centre of London in Broadcasting House, a brand new building which provides a great working environment and houses the largest News Room in Europe. You will be working right next to presenters and producers, giving you direct feedback from users
The BBC has a very large developer community which you will be able to tap into offering a wealth of knowledge and experience of an organisation serving a global audience. You will also have opportunity to engage with fellow mobile app engineers across the other BBC apps (Weather, Sport, iPlayer, iPlayer Radio) that provides engineers with a rich knowledge sharing environment.
Learning is an important part of the role, and as a team member you’ll have access to BBC Academy training programmes, the opportunity to attend technology conferences, and other reasonable resources you find necessary to progress as an engineer. Discussion of new ideas and practices is encouraged.
- We’re looking for an experienced engineer to join the team and help us take our apps even further developing new user experiences for our UK and global audience.
- As a Principal Engineer you will be instrumental in formulating, influencing and articulating on all technical matters relating to the team. You will be a key member of team with skills at coaching, mentoring and promoting best practices within a software development discipline.
- You will be able to pick up, own and lead on large-scale pieces of work, that will require close collaboration with colleagues both in the team and across the wider BBC technical community.
- The role will vary greatly from day-to-day and will likely involve fielding new work requests and working with the News Apps Team Leads and Engineering Manager to ensure planned work is feasible and delivered work is of the highest quality.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have:
- Experienced in Java
- Experienced in Kotlin
- Experienced in Android and mobile app development
- Experienced in leading, mentoring & coaching other team members
- Experienced in acting as technical lead in large scale projects
About The Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.