We’re looking for a Senior MySQL DBA to help with our expanding database environment. This role is key to help maintain the high reliability and performance of our application. We have many sharded databases and an environment which is constantly growing. We value scriptability, repeatability and testability in our operational procedures. We're also speed freaks and heavy users of FusionIO and NVMe throughout our database systems. We operate in traditional Data Centers and in AWS. We are looking for a talented and experienced DBA with a passion for consistency and reliability, expert knowledge in database administration and scripting and a great temperament to fit into the team.
If you feel you're not Senior enough for the role don't fret.. we are considering hiring entry level to Senior level.
What you get to do every day:
- Perform regular database schema changes via Rails migrations and/or online schema updates with minimal downtime
- Perform and manage migrations of customer data between shards
- Create new database clusters/shards and slaves for support data growth
- Troubleshoot performance issues and suggest optimizations
- Automate recurring DBA tasks
- Participate in database space reclamation activities
- Complete capacity planning to accommodate rapid growth
- Be part of DBA team on-call rotation
- Monitor database environment to maintain high availability and proactively identify and solve issues
- Work with and educate our dev team to make good schema design choices and write efficient queries
- Monitor and enhance our backup solution to ensure that our customers’ data is always secure
- Document and practice failover scenarios
- Influence peer productivity by staying on top of the industry, as well as contribute to the industry on behalf of Zendesk
- Work with Engineering teams based in San Francisco, USA and Dublin, Ireland and other regions of the world where Zendesk has presence
What you bring to the role:
- 5+ years of experience with MySQL architecture, replication, sharding, monitoring, troubleshooting and backups.
- Penchant for automation and strong use of a scripting language (such as Bash, Perl, Python or Ruby)
- Expert knowledge with SQL and stored routines
- Experience working with MySQL in sharded environment and associated challenges with performance and growth
- Working knowledge with AWS database technologies like Aurora, DynamoDB, Redshift, etc will be a plus
- Working knowledge with No-SQL technologies like MongoDB and/or other data stores like Riak
- Able to meet deliverables and drive your work to completion within specified timelines
- Can work cross functionally in many areas without being constrained by your job function
- Collaborative, upbeat work ethic where you are expected to communicate well, take ownership, and have fun
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.