Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2008, Clio ( http://www.clio.com ) is transforming the practice of law, for good. Whether through our industry-leading cloud-based practice management platform ( https://www.clio.com/new-clio/ ), our ground-breaking Legal Trends Report ( https://www.clio.com/2017-legal-trends-report/ ) or our ever-popular Clio Cloud Conference ( http://cliocloudconference.com/ ), Clio is at the forefront of advancing the legal sphere, worldwide. Everyday, more than 150,000 customers in over 90 countries around the world use the Clio platform to transform their practices and expand their businesses.
With international growth in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia (EMEA) being a strategic priority for our business, we are seeking a Director of Engineering to build, mentor, and manage a team of software engineers, product managers, and product designers in our rapidly-expanding Dublin office. At the top of the priority list after that will be stewarding internationalization efforts for our market-leading product, helping us to make Clio the practice management choice of legal professionals the world over!
Reporting to our VP of Engineering in Canada, and working as a peer to our General Manager in Dublin, you will be responsible for helping us build a team of A-players who consistently and efficiently execute on projects that deliver long-term customer value to both a European and North American audience. Through active promotion and demonstration of Clio’s values, you will build a culture of leadership and high performance.
- Work closely with our Product Leadership team to set the technical direction for Clio’s internationalization efforts
- You’re not expected to code everyday, but you’re an experienced programmer. You enjoy helping teams solve technical problems
- Partner with leadership in Product Management and Product Design to envision, develop, and execute on our EMEA product roadmap;
- Build, grow, and support a Product organization in Dublin;
- Contribute to, and build a deep understanding, of the code base and the internationalization needs of our EMEA customers;
- Being a role model for all Clio employees (in Dublin and beyond) by living Clio’s values;
- Maintain and foster a collaborative environment that highlights team prioritization, removing roadblocks, and sharing unique and creative solutions;
- Being a champion for the Product organization and our Dublin office to the rest of the company, and help ensure that communication flows in both directions;
- Role model what it looks like to be a great communicator and collaborator.
You should have:
- 5+ years of leadership in software engineering, particularly using an Agile process and with large-scale SaaS products;
- 5+ years as a software developer;
- A philosophy on what makes for great software engineer teams;
- A demonstrated success in people leadership in software engineering;
- A background in hands-on software engineering, specifically with building web/mobile applications at scale;
- A diverse base of knowledge that allows you to help your team solve complex technical problems;
- A demonstrated ability to hire the best and brightest engineers in a competitive job market—and to coach, develop, and retain engineering talent;
- A portfolio of successful projects (as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects).
Bonus points if you have:
- You have experience working with global offices and communicating abroad;
- A strong network of A players to support our recruiting and people development efforts on the ground in Dublin;
- A deep understanding of, and experience with, Ruby on Rails, modern JS frameworks, and/or native mobile engineering;
- A degree in Computer Science or a similar field.
Why join Clio?
We offer a great compensation package, a fun work environment, a great benefits plan, and an opportunity to be part of an incredible growth story with unlimited potential. We’ve received funding from Point 9 Capital and Bessemer Venture Partners, who have funded companies like Pinterest and LinkedIn. Need more reasons? We are looking for owl-drawers and team builders—people who work hard and play for keeps. We hire the brightest, most driven people in tech. Come and join us!
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that ensuring diversity and inclusion will produce a better place to work and a better product. We encourage all candidates to apply.
You must be eligible to work in the Republic of Ireland.