The DBA is a technical specialist who is responsible for management of the databases and their environment.
Database management includes the implementation of new functional databases delivered by project development, the implementation of new database system releases, the tuning, performance management and production support for databases and data management related issues.
The jobholder will be involved in innovative projects (who use SAFE – Scaled Agile Framework, DevOps, Scrum and Sprints), upgrades to old environments. In addition will be available for Level 3 issues, where necessary, and directed by their reporting manager, to assist with solving business and IT problems with innovative ideas and will ensure that maximum service level is provided to users on a 24-hour basis.
Reaction to problems has to be quick, efficient so that production standards and availability are kept at the highest level.
Primary Objectives / Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, under the guidance of the Application DBA Manager and within the specific functional database area(s) assigned:
- Database server administration,
- Allocated Snr DBA to Projects as and when needed, pending availability and per scheduled with reporting manager.
- Performance problems and bug investigation / trouble shooting and monitoring. (Level 3).
- DBMS upgrades,
- Implementation and maintenance of database Backup / Recovery procedures,
- Database Security management, compliance with Sarbox, IAD, Audit operating procedures,
- Databases release implementation and management,
- Documentation of production process and procedures within the established standards,
- Assist in application database design reviews,
- Perform logical to physical database design,
- Assist in design, Implementation and maintenance of application data objects such as tables, views and indexes,
- Assist in project plan development such as making estimates and developing milestones,
- Analysis of performance and reliability issues and the initiation of related improvement work (eventually with development)
- Proactive in recommending updates and improvements to existing systems.
- Proactively suggest alternative solutions and designs, third party tools, etc. to solve the problems at hand.
- Frequently called upon to solve problems; has strong problem solving skills
- Able to deal effectively with internal and external groups including clients and vendors.
- Participate in a Rota to cover on-call and shifts.
- Bachelor degree computer science or Technical school accreditation,
- Primary knowledge of Sybase ASE from 12.5.X to 16.X software at the forefront. (ASE, Auditing Function, Encryption, MDA tables, DBCC, Partitioning, Compression)
- Knowledge of data architecture principles.
- Working in high profile, high change environments in conjunction with large Solutions architecture teams, Production Support \ Application Support teams in order to best serve the business, quickly, efficiently and with exemplary continuity of service.
- Good knowledge of database administration (in Production \ ‘live’ environments and below), programming and systems analysis procedures.
- Good working knowledge of various RDBMS and OS environments specializing in Microsoft and some UNIX. These include Oracle 9i & 10g, SQL server 2005 and 2008, Solaris 8, DB2 9.5 Windows 2003, Sybase 15\16 (crucial) Windows 2003\2008.
- High level of Windows & UNIX batch scripting.
- PHP knowledge, Amazon AWS Cloud Technology, Pro-Active DBA by Whitesands Ltd, Nimsoft, Service Now, Guardium, all a bonus if have these skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and without close supervision.
Preferred Skills / Qualifications :
- 8+ year Sybase ASE 12.5 - 16, 4+ year Oracle 9i, 10g, ExaData, 3+ year SQL server 2005 & 2008, , 3+ year DB2 9.5 Windows 2003 & AIX, Sun Solaris 8.
- Knowledge of client server systems, one or more programming languages a plus including PHP.
- Windows and Unix scripting.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.